Education Enforcement Officer
This is a temporary position until the Summer of 2020 to provide cover for maternity leave.
We wish to appoint a temporary Education Enforcement Officer within Nottinghamshire County Council’s Family Service to act as an enforcement lead within the North Locality base (Bassetlaw/Newark & Sherwood). The role involves assessing and handling requests for Education Penalty Notices from maintained schools and academies for poor school attendance and unauthorised holidays taken during term time.
Key duties include:
- To independently assess and make decisions on the appropriateness of requests made to Nottinghamshire County Council for Education Penalty Notices, taking into account evidence provided and mitigating circumstances.
- To issue warning letters and Education Penalty Notices with respect of poor school attendance.
- To act as a liaison with schools in relation to Education Penalty Notice requests and where required provide robust scrutiny and challenge to ensure that the evidence threshold has been met for a fine to be issued or to promote consideration of alternative interventions where this is more appropriate.
The successful candidate will have:
- A professional qualification equivalent to an NVQ level 4 or above in a relevant subject (for example education welfare or criminology) or, as an alternative, to be or have been warranted police.
- Knowledge of attendance law and of education welfare policy and procedures.
- A minimum of three years post qualification experience of working with children, young people and/or families.
- Experience of enforcement, preferably in relation to education welfare.
If you wish to discuss this post, please contact Denis A McCarthy on 01159939348.
Disabled applicants who meet the essential shortlisting requirements will be guaranteed an interview. A job share scheme is available for all full time posts: both permanent and temporary, unless otherwise stated. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and we expect all staff to share this commitment and undergo appropriate checks.
The County Council welcomes applications from all, irrespective of gender, marital status, disability, race, age or sexual orientation.
This vacancy is closed to applications.